Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Blog Post Challenge #5 Assistive Technology (Dream Enabler)

Although our joint session with the speech therapist was a part of our neurological aspect class, I'd still like to blog about my experience during that session. First off I was able to see a former co-worker of mine from Firebird's restaurant. It was great to see her chasing her dream of being a speech therapist, and I always have much love for the University of Memphis, since I graduated from there in 2009, Go Tigers Go! I equally enjoyed both lectures and received well rounded information about assistive technology. I found myself very inspired about the young man taking college level courses for designing programs, while also writing a book. Without assistive technology this young man might not have been enabled to pursue his dreams. I'm excited that young men and women living with disabilities are now able to express themselves in a creative way, it's truly a beautiful thing. We have opened new worlds with endless possibilities for all people to enjoy. I think this is great from an OT perspective, because it gives people living with disabilities another aspect of meaning and value to their lives, and as OT's we love helping people enjoy the activities they find value in. I look forward to incorporating assistive technology as a practitioner. It's exciting how much assistive technology has already improved the lives of others, but image 10-20 years down the road, the innovation is going to be amazing. I also look forward to continuing my education in assistive technology, and to the many improvements it's going to bring to all people. To the young man writing the book, I'm thankful you get to chase the dreams that God has placed inside of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment