Friday, April 7, 2017

Blog Post Challenge #2

I enjoyed the presentation professor Flick presented to us yesterday in class and found it to be very informative. I've always been very passionate about health promotion and look forward to implementing it as a leader in the field of OT. My father is 65 and my mother is 60, they both workout 4-5 times a week with optimal nutrition for the most part, my father does love to eat potato chips, which I'm always hounding him about. I mention my parents because their healthy aging has been very influential on myself and their peers. As a rehab tech I love to reference my parents when talking to my clients, hoping to give them some positive influence and just show that it's never too late to start living a healthy lifestyle, and to be the best versions of themselves. My father still plays competitive softball and travels all throughout the south playing in tournaments, and well to put it on the nice side, he has probably had about 5 surgeries in the past 7 years, mostly knee and shoulder. I would always sit back and admire his work ethic and determination to always recover in a timely manner. His motto that he loves to use when recovering is, "when you don't use it you lose it", so as you can imagine as a tech I probably have used the phrase at least 100 times with my clients, sometimes the clients are encouraged, other times I think they could care less, but hopefully they get the point. I understand not all clients have the motivation to necessarily live a healthy lifestyle, but it's still our job as OT's to promote health constantly, and maybe be the motivation they need to improve their health for the first time in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment