Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Blog post challenge #3

The occupational process was one of my favorite topics to date in OT school. I think I enjoyed it so much because before I was a rehab tech I shadowed a lot of OT's, and was able to sit in on a lot of OT evaluations. It was fun to be able to compare those experiences to what we were talking about in class. I have seen some great evaluations and I have seen some not so great evaluations. I always noticed that evaluations that did not go so great were often related to lack of trust between clients and therapist, which was often due to a bad attitude that the client was having. I was always a little surprised by how frustrated therapists would get with clients because of the clients bad attitude. The key to remember is that a bad attitude never helps another bad attitude, which goes for anything in life. The only way to overcome a bad attitude is with a great attitude! Can it be annoying at times? Yes! Is it always easy? No! In the end you and the client will both benefit from a great attitude. Often times as therapists we will come along patients who have barriers up to everyone around them (even their family), it's times like these that we should  enjoy showing the client that we truly care for them and that we're going to do everything in our power to build an awesome relationship wth them. Lastly I'm going to post a quote that always came to my mind whenever I had patients who weren't  being cooperative when I was a rehab tech, that quote is;"no act of love goes unnoticed." Meet people where they are first, the rest of therapy will then fall into place!

No comments:

Post a Comment