Monday, June 12, 2017

Neuro Note 5

“The Fundamentals of Caring”

While going through the choices on my last neuro note, I wanted to do it on a diagnosis that is still relatively new to me, and at the same time interesting. The Netflix original, “The Fundamentals of Caring” was the perfect choice. In the movie, we are quickly introduced to a main character who goes by Ben. We learn early on, that Ben is in training to be a caregiver by going through a six-week course. Soon after Ben’s training, he is given his first possible assignment, which is working with an 18-year-old boy named Trevor who has been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy. During Ben’s interview, him and Trevor find a connection through their sarcasm and sense of humor and Ben is hired for the job. Ben decides to take Trevor on a week-long trip to see some amazing sights and have the time of his life. Throughout their journey together you learn that both Trevor and Ben have some deep issues that they need resolved in their hearts. I think it’s a beautiful movie, because in a way they both save each other and find purpose through their trials and hard times. Two other characters, Dot and Peaches tag along for an unforgettable adventure for all of the characters. Eventually Ben comes to peace with the fact that he lost his son 3 years earlier, and actually begins writing a book about Trevor. Trevor and Ben remain friends after Ben resigns from caregiving, and Trevor continues to live a more purposeful life, with Ben likely becoming a father figure in his life. (Trevor’s father left him and his mother when he was 3, because of the diagnosis)

One main reason I chose this movie was because I was interested to see the relationship between Ben and Trevor, and as a male, I thought maybe that I could relate in way to both of them on some level, but mostly with Ben being a male caregiver. While reading about the description, I sensed that both characters would be underdogs in some kind of manner. I love when underdogs help pull each other out of hard times. I was also interested to see how someone with muscular dystrophy functions on a daily basis.


As a future occupational therapist, I’m going to meet a lot of Trevor’s in my career. It was so awesome to see that he just wanted to be treated and talked to like a normal 18-year-old kid. Secondly, I love how realistic this movie was in relation to caregiving. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty and wipe some bottoms. It seems like something gross and unimportant, but in reality, it can be humbling for both people involved. This movie also had an awesome scene in relation to universal design, and how as a society we should really do our best to design all places with everyone in mind.  I would highly recommend this move to all health care professionals and look forward to watching it again. Trust me, you’ll get plenty of laughs and tears.

References 
The Fundamentals of Caring (2016). (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2452386/

(Can be seen on Netflix) 

No comments:

Post a Comment